Grand Teton National Park

As a neighbor to the far more famous Yellowstone National Park, Grand Tetons is not talked about as much as its beauty deserves. This a park well worth heading south for on a trip to Yellowstone. Plus combo tickets can be bought so the cost is very small for the addition. I personally recommend a day to spend in this park. If you want to extensively hike it may be worth two days.

Accommodations:
The nearest places to stay would be in Jackson and the surrounding towns. Access from those towns is very easy and not a long drive. However getting into Grand Tetons from Yellowstone is about a two hour drive from Old Faithful.Moving hotels might not be necessary depending on where you are staying for a trip to Yellowstone.

Top Spots:
While pretty much the whole area is breathtaking, there are some particularly photogenic spots scattered about. Don't be afraid to make your own path though (figuratively, never go off the trails you can get lost or hurt).


Schwabacher landing- 
If it had not been so cold when we were there, I think my friend and I could have sat here all day. The views are best here, in my opinion. There is a gravel road off the main highway to get to this little spot, but even my compact car made it up and down just fine.


Oxbow Bend-
This spot is located after the Moran Entrance to the park. If you are coming off the main highway, this is probably where you go in. Another fantastically gorgeous view of the mountains and water. I had to pinch myself a few ties to make sure it was real.


Mormon Row-
This is a place my friend and I went to for sunrise. It was amazing. The Tetons light up as the early morning sun hits them creating a sort of orangey glow. You are surrounded by rustic barns and the scene is simply magical. While many places may be wonderful for a sunrise, Morman Row should not be missed.


Jackson Lake Dam-
This find was a complete accident on our trip. I had not seen it mentioned on other sights as being particularly of note, but I lost my mind when I saw this view. Standing on the dam is already gorgeous, but if you head toward the parking lot and instead follow along the water past the stairs it gets even better. There are fewer people and it really feels like you are one with this tranquil scene.


Moose-Wilson Road:
In all the times I went into Grand Teton, the place I usually saw wildlife, particularly moose, was on this road. When we went on our predawn quest for sunrise pictures we found ourselves stopping almost constantly on this stretch because of the mass amounts of moose just chilling by the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment